PUBLIC ACCESS MASS, Fusebox 2013
MASS was founded in 2006 in a former auto body shop that was part of the Blue Theater complex behind the Blue Hanger thrift store on Springdale Road in Austin, Texas. Through the creative energy of a shifting collection of Austin artists, and with support and encouragement from impresario Ron Berry, MASS presented more than forty exhibitions, events and other indescribable occurrences between 2006 and 2010, many of which live on only in the minds of those who experienced them. During that period, MASS served as a launching pad for artists, a place where big ideas could have their first expression, and a site for the type of art that wasn’t on view elsewhere in the city. Recently relocated to the energetic and diverse complex of 507 Calles Street, MASS consists of a 1500-square foot gallery, several large work studios, and a robust season of film screenings, musical performances, openings, and community outreach activities.